Forming a rich tapestry of functionality and tightly woven features, the Lumia Denim Update combines new enhancements from the latest Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, with exclusive experiences for Lumia smartphones.
Let’s break it down, to fully explain what you can expect from the Lumia Denim Update.
Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1
- Cortana – The most personal digital assistant on the market will now be available in the UK and China as a Beta. India, Canada and Australia will have access to Cortana as a public Alpha. For US residents, Cortana now includes an improved natural language, car kit integration via Bluetooth for contacts, snooze reminders and calendar improvements.
- Live folders – If you prefer to keep your apps or games organised, you can now put them into folders. Simply press, hold and drag an app over another to create a new folder on the Start screen. Each folder can be renamed by tapping on the text field above the open folder.
- Apps Corner – Create a customised Start screen, where only specific apps or games are accessible. This could be particularly useful in the workplace if you’re issuing Windows Phones to employees.
- SMS merge and forwarding – Select individual text messages to either delete them out of a messaging thread, or to copy and past them into a new message in order to forward them.
- Snooze Times – It’s now possible to customise the snooze time within the Alarm app.
- Consumer VPN – Maintain privacy and security when using data while connected to public Wi-Fi hotspots or even with your home Wi-Fi.
- Mobile Web Site improvements in IE – Connect and browse even faster with improved downloading speeds on mobile websites.
- Store Live Tile (US only) – The Store Live Tile displays featured apps and games that are the most popular in the Store, or most relevant for you.
Unique Lumia experiences
The Lumia Denim Update provides features that are exclusive to Lumia. We always strive to bring new features to everyone, but some of which are hardware dependent and are only announced for the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520 and Lumia 830, such as the Lumia Camera
- Lumia Camera – Replacing Nokia Camera, Lumia Camera is faster and more intuitive than before to make the best camera experience, even better.
- Speed – Pocket to capture speeds are superfast, and it only takes milliseconds going from shot to shot.
- Moment Capture – A long press of the camera button starts 4K-quality video recording at 24 FPS. With each frame at 8.3 megapixels, you can save individual frames as high quality still images.
- Rich Capture – Auto HDR and Dynamic Flash are now welcomed into the already-impressive feature set. Shoot first and adjust the camera settings later for that perfect photo.
- Improved image processing algorithms – Updated to give you clearer photos, even in lowlight.
- “Hey Cortana” Voice Activation – Gone are the days of pressing the microphone button to wake-up Cortana. Simply say “Hey Cortana” while the phone is idle and Cortana will activate.This is possible thanks to theSensorCore technology.
- Glance Screen – Compatible Lumia devices can now show more at a glance with Bing Weather, or Bing Health & Fitness data, in addition to time and date, notifications and application data.
Lumia Denim Update will ship with Lumia 830, Lumia 730 Dual SIM and Lumia 735. For all other Lumia Windows Phone 8 smartphones, the update will start rolling out during Q4 2014, following partner testing and approvals.
LUMIA CAMERA IN FOCUS: CAPTURE THE MOMENT WITH QUALITY, EASE AND SPEED
Whether you’re an amateur photographer, or a professional, the latest Lumia update to our celebrated camera app, delivers a wealth of imaging innovations to help you capture the moment.
Thanks to close collaboration with the Windows Phone team and taking advantage of the powerful hardware on the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520 and the latest Lumia 830, Nokia Camera will be updated to Lumia Camera as part of the Lumia Denim Update – and it’s more than a simple name change.
Our cameras have always led the way in image quality (and we’re determined to keep it that way), and that gets even better with the Lumia Camera, which brings the next generation of our image processing algorithms to capture sharper pictures with more detail both day and night.
Along with leading quality, the Lumia Camera brings super-fast pocket to capture, and shot to shot speeds, to ensure you never miss the moment. Using the camera hardware button, Lumia Camera springs into action in an instant, and takes the first shot faster than you can say, “say cheese”. Plus, with milliseconds between photos, you’ll be snappy happy like never before.
The amazing new Moment Capture feature within Lumia Camera offers a new way to capture the world around you, and makes it quicker and easier to capture the perfect shot.
Moment Capture is activated by a long press of the camera button, and instantly starts recording your subject in 4K at 24 frames per second. Each of the frames captured is a high quality 8.3 megapixel shot that can be saved as an individual photo.
You can now record those special moments without worrying about perfecting the shot, and pick the perfect moment later.
Lumia 830 also brings all the great features of Lumia Camera, but shoots Moment Capture in FullHD, not 4K, and with reduced 2-megapixel per frame quality.
Rich Capture brings Auto HDR and Dynamic Flash
With Rich Capture, you can avoid the hassle of adjusting camera settings to shoot first, and edit and select the perfect shot later. Rich Capture also guarantees better image quality by adapting to any scene and capturing and merging multiple images together simultaneously, and applying auto HDR with dynamic exposure steps and flash settings – to provide the perfect shot with more details than ever before.
The great New Dynamic Flash setting captures images automatically with and without flash, and lets you decide how to remember the scene by choosing the amount of flash used in the shot, after it has been taken. You can have less flash for really warm photos, or apply more flash to make the details even sharper.
When is it available?
The new Lumia Camera will be available for Lumia 830, Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520 as part of the Lumia Denim update that starts rolling out in Q4.
Courtesy : Nokia Conversations